We are looking for a Tool Maker for our CNC Optics cell. This group is responsible for the fabrication of mirrors and components of exceptional quality for ground and space-based astronomical, high energy laser, and earth imaging applications.
- Individuals must communicate with and understand directions from the design and project engineering communities during design & manufacturing phases of projects.
- These individuals will need to be able to operate conventional and computer-controlled optical shop equipment as applicable and are familiar with various precision measuring techniques used to fabricate, integrate and validate optics.
- Additional activities include performing processing experiments, handling and transporting of mirrors and some design related tasks.
- Members work to engineering drawings, manufacturing instructions, procedures, process specifications, schematics, sketches or verbal instructions and must be capable of holding close tolerances during the fabrication and integration of complex optical configurations.
- Programming, operating and troubleshooting of computer-controlled fabrication machines (ex. 3- axis and Multi-axis CNC equipment).
- Participation in the developing, reviewing, and approving of Manufacturing Instructions and CNC programs for fabrication.
- Familiarity with Mastercam
- Using measurement devices such as micrometers, Vernier calipers, etc.
- Maintaining accurate notes and properly filling out process documentation and log sheets as records of work performed in optical processing areas.
- Performing calibrations and routine maintenance on CNC processing equipment.
- Working with different groups such as Test Engineers, Process Engineers, Facilities, EHS, Shop Operators and Machinists.
- Operate hoists, lifts, turnover equipment, vacu-lifters for the purpose of loading and unloading medium to large (100mm to 3.4m diameter) optical materials (glass, ceramics, composites) and tools on and off processing equipment.
- As needed, participating in Root Cause/Corrective Action meetings if part damage occurs.
- Requires fully proficient job knowledge/skills. Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent and a minimum of 6 years of prior relevant experience or 2 years post-Secondary/Associates Degree with a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience.
- Candidate must have a willingness to work overtime, off-shift, and be on-call, as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Speaks clearly and concisely, presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups.
- Effectively organizes and communicates.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Demonstrates appropriate computer knowledge in basic Microsoft Office software applications.
- Understanding and application of Geometric Dimension and Tolerancing (GD&T) a plus.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience in optics processing and handling.
- Experience in the Aerospace or Defense industry.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and general understanding of manufacturing and assembly techniques.
- Able to write task procedures & processes under Engineering or Technician guidance.
- Direct experience with Siemens 840D controller or HAAS CNC equipment