Performs skilled mechanical and electrical work in repairing, inspection, servicing, installation, and alteration of heating, ventilation, refrigeration and air conditioning systems and related equipment to the facility.
- Install, service maintain, regulate and repair mechanical equipment including heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment such as steam and hot water boilers, rooftop DX systems, chilled water systems, ice storage systems, unit space gas heaters and food storage refrigeration equipment.
- Check and inspect various installations and items of air conditioning and food storage equipment such as compressors, pumps filters, bearings, belts, circuits, controls, piping, etc.
- Repair or replace compressors, charge units, change controls, thermostats, pumps, water pressure regulators and other parts and systems. Charge refrigeration systems. Inspect, clean, and replace filters as necessary.
- Perform electrical, pneumatic, and mechanical testing of equipment. Diagnose mechanical and electrical problems. Repair or replace defective parts in units and in equipment controls.
- Check for leaks, excessive noises, heat, vibration, malfunctions, wear, broken, and defective parts.
- Clean, repair, and replace worn parts of ventilator fans and hoods.
- Perform brazing, soldering, and welding as necessary.
- Perform material take off’s and installation of various type duct work, including but not limited to sheet metal, fiberglass, B-vent, flex-duct, and PVC.
- Check and adjust temperatures of air conditioning systems.
- Maintain a preventive maintenance program for the heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment and systems.
- Maintain records that relate to the maintenance and repair activities.
- Close out of all service calls or preventive maintenance requests, as part of software management system.
- Install and recycle CFC and HCFC (Chlorofluorocarbon family) refrigerants.
- Work individually and with other crafts in general maintenance duties such as unplugging and clearing drain lines, replacing oil and refrigerant, controls, bearings, belts, and filters.
- Plan and organize work to meet schedules and timelines.
- Review, interpret, and evaluate blueprints, specifications, applications, and submittals to ensure compliance to code regulations.
- Equivalent Education Level Required: High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience Required: 3-5 years as a Maintenance Mechanic 1st class.
- Knowledge of mechanics, electrical, ventilation, heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning systems and related equipment.
- Ability to install and repair various pipe and duct insulation.
- Knowledge of Sieman’s Energy Management Systems, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, and local electrical,
gas, and safety codes and regulations.
- Ability to work alone or with other trades in demolition and renovation projects.
- Ability to operate personal and drivable man lifts, various fork lift trucks, and company vehicles.
- Must have a valid NJ driver’s license to operate registered company vehicles and a valid ID card for certification for handling refrigeration gases.
- Must be able to operate a variety of equipment and machinery such as meters and testing devices, pressure gauges, pumps and hand tools.
- Must have effective written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Will perform brazing, soldering and welding as necessary.
- Refer to the physical requirements and environmental factors identified in the Functional Job Analysis.
- Must be able to pass all applicable medical exams.